Dataprobe was challenged to provide distribution of an early warning system to a multi-campus environment. Instead of placing a lighting warning system in each building, the owner wanted to use a single lightning detection system, and have that notification reach every building in the factory campus.
Dataprobe’s solution was to take the contact closure output of the lightning detector into an iPIO-2 GPIO controller. That unit is capable of broadcasting to up to 32 locations, this application needed to serve 28 buildings.
The sirens used in the remote buildings were not near any network infrastructure, so Dataprobe used the iBoot-WiFi to power on the alert system in each building when needed.
This technique has been employed in other applications such as:
- Ice Dam Prevention – Turn on heaters
- Tornado Warning – Shut down critical systems
- Panic Button – Security Alert
- Time and Attendance – Ring break bell
- Accident Alert – Safety Shutdown
- Visitor Notification – Distributed Doorbell